Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Nate
Well, here we go again! 

At least it's screaming North and won't be hanging around long...

I live in the area that will be seeing Hurricane Force winds shortly after landfall.

It's taking a path much like Katrina did back in 2005.
[b][i]"It's always funny until someone loses an eye!"[/i][/b]
I see that it landed in Biloxi, and dropped to a tropical storm. How did it work out for you?
Biggest hyped up and outright lies by the NWS and Weather Channel EVER!

When the storm made first landfall at the mouth of the Mississippi River at Southwest Pass, I logged into the Naval Research Lab's Website and was looking at live weather buoy data and NONE of the weather 20+ buoys scattered around in that part of the Gulf of Mexico were showing more than a 53mph sustained wind. Everyone at that point was reporting that it was 90+mph storm, had hurricane force winds extending 70 miles from the center and was strengthening fast and was going to bring in a 9' to 11' tidal surge.

It was also moving more than 26mph over ground at that time which had me scratching my head.

Everyone that has dealt with hurricanes knows that the faster the storm is moving over ground, the less surge it brings in with it and the faster it weakens. The worst surge along the Gulf Coast was about 5' at Biloxi and it also came in at high tide right after a full mood, which always increases the tide a foot or so.

ANYWAY, I had about 4 leaves fall out of a tree in my back yard and we got about 1/100 of an inch of rain, and I was just over 60 miles West of the landfall.

My folks in Pensacola got about 2" of rain, 3' above normal high tides and 20mph winds and that was about it.

I don't know what they think they accomplish when they hype these storms up way more than what they end up being. All it does it make folks more complacent the next time a storm lines up on us and they start this doom and destruction song and dance again, and one of these times, it's really going to measure up to the hype.
I personally feel like they hyped up Irma. I don't regret evacuating from Florida. But I don't think the media helped either. The crazy thing is that you don't really see that narrative in the mainstream -- the media hyping the hurricanes on purpose. I do find it interesting that no one is calling them on their bullshit out loud.
(10-10-2017, 09:12 PM)JustSomeone Wrote: I personally feel like they hyped up Irma. I don't regret evacuating from Florida. But I don't think the media helped either. The crazy thing is that you don't really see that narrative in the mainstream -- the media hyping the hurricanes on purpose. I do find it interesting that no one is calling them on their bullshit out loud.

Exactly!  My first cousin and his family lives in Port Charlotte, South of Tampa and evacuated to our house.  Port Charlotte was just about a direct hit and from media reports, it was all doom and gloom and destruction.

He got home and none of his family's homes were damaged (between him, kids and in-laws) and all had but a few limbs down and a few trees toppled.  No flooding, no house damage, nothing that a bad summer storm wouldn't have caused. All of them had power back within 48-72 hours after the passing of the storm.

He expressed the same frustration of the hyped up severity of the storm in MSM.

I guess doom and gloom sells advertising and gains viewership.
I live about 85 miles north of Port Charlotte. My electricity didn't even blink.
What's next, hurricane Ophelia?
Check out my new story! 
[url=http://forum.bearchive.co/thread-270-post-20860.html#pid20860]http://forum.bearchive.co/thread-270-post-20860.html#pid20860[/url] 
Already came and went. Fish storm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hurricane Ida Tugboatcap 2 3,528 09-19-2021, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Tugboatcap
  Hurricane Isaac SUCKS! Tugboatcap 3 8,448 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Last Post: PinkLisa