Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Life gets in the way sometimes...
Bone, that floor LOOKS really pretty and Star Trek-ish, but in reality, is a royal pain in the ass!

The original specifications were for putting normal server room grade white composite panels in, but when our building project manager and the architectural designers got ahold of it, they decided to install this really neat clear Lexan floor. We knew nothing about it until the installers had over half of it down. Can you say "Van De Gaaff Generator"?

They put an anti-static coating on the Lexan tiles this past Friday and even copper bonded a few perimeter panels, but it STILL knocks the crap out of you when walk about 6' on it and then touch anything remotely resembling a ground.

Anyone working in that room HAS to wear an anti-static wrist band and connect to a known bonded ground before even THINKING about touching the hardware. I personally zapped the hell out of a cheap 12 port Netgear switch we had in there temporarily when I was trying to plug in a patch cable in a tight spot and discharged a static bolt into an empty port.

Killed that port deader than hell.

Imagine if that was one of my $7000 4800 series Avaya POE Switches!
[b][i]"It's always funny until someone loses an eye!"[/i][/b]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Real Life gets in the way sometimes... - by Tugboatcap - 06-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Real Life Thread Tugboatcap 6 16,095 02-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Bonecracker