Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Mac VS PC
(02-21-2014, 10:37 AM)JustSomeone Wrote: Now, before you write me off as a malcontent. I'd like to say I've been around technology, before it was pretty and usable. Some might call me a grey beard in my industry. I guess I know what I like. And I certainly don't like where most technology is headed.

Nah it makes perfect sense. A few years back when you bought it the landscape was different. As with many trends, Apple set the bar for mid-high end laptops with the aluminium unibody design. A few years on and the unibody is still relatively unique but most high end laptops now come with some kind of metal casing or internal construction. More durable, thinner, less flex, lighter weight if the right metal/alloy is used - all good stuff.

Same thing would have been true if you wanted an ultrabook a few years ago. Your choice a few years ago: Macbook Air. Your choice now: Kid in a candy store.

Currently I'm using a HP Probook 5330m. It's a couple of years old now but it's a good machine that ticks all my boxes, plus the other half likes it because it's relatively small and light, and it's pretty.

To be fair to MS I do actually like Windows 8 and I don't particularly subscribe to the hatred that occurs with almost all new Windows release (except for 7 for some reason).

Take Vista, for example. I didn't suffer from any personally but it did have some proper nasty bugs when it came out, and I'm not disputing that. Bugs aside however a lot of criticism was levied at it for being a resource hog. The thing that got me is that people say things like "OMG XP is so fast it's amazing why would I ever want Vista it's so bloated rar rar rar". Do those people remember what it was like running XP on a Pentium 3 or 4 with 256mb RAM? It was [b]painful[/b] compared to something like 98SE or even 2000. And people bitched and moaned about it at the time. When Vista came out the typical PC had 1-2Gb RAM and was running XP like an absolute dream - and suddenly Vista was the bad guy. Everyone had forgotten that XP was exactly the same when it came out.

'Fit for use' is king whether it's a £500k+ enterprise infrastructure project or Joe Bloggs with their £300 laptop. People forget that too easily and are quick to put a black mark on everything based on one experience.

Messages In This Thread
[split] Mac VS PC - by Bonecracker - 02-21-2014, 06:47 AM
RE: [split] Mac VS PC - by Tugboatcap - 02-23-2014, 03:07 PM
RE: [split] Mac VS PC - by Djoser - 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM
RE: [split] Mac VS PC - by Archaon - 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM
RE: Memory Lane... - by JustSomeone - 02-21-2014, 10:37 AM
RE: Memory Lane... - by Bonecracker - 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: Memory Lane... - by bosomblaster - 02-21-2014, 10:55 AM
RE: Memory Lane... - by Archaon - 02-22-2014, 06:20 AM
RE: [split] Mac VS PC - by JustSomeone - 02-22-2014, 09:08 AM
RE: [split] Mac VS PC - by Archaon - 02-22-2014, 10:33 AM
RE: [split] Mac VS PC - by JustSomeone - 02-22-2014, 11:19 AM