Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Mac VS PC
I feel your pain, I'm on my 4th Macbook Pro in 7 years. Video ram and displays (amongst a few other things) have failed each time... mostly due to my own abuse like dropping them countless times.

I don't remember that license plate, but I'll bet D does!!
Check out my new story! 
[url=http://forum.bearchive.co/thread-270-post-20860.html#pid20860]http://forum.bearchive.co/thread-270-post-20860.html#pid20860[/url] 
(02-21-2014, 06:47 AM)Bonecracker Wrote: I feel your pain, I'm on my 4th Macbook Pro in 7 years. Video ram and displays (amongst a few other things) have failed each time... mostly due to my own abuse like dropping them countless times.

I don't remember that license plate, but I'll bet D does!!
The hdd died due to shock, more specifically, my angry fist slamming on it. This isn't due to mac related problems, per se.

Anyway, after 4 Macs in 7 years, why would you keep getting them?

Also, even though I _had_ to install OSX on here, I gave it the smallest partition, and installed Windows 7 on 700GB. Screw OSX. Apple makes pretty good hardware. Their software sucks dick.
Actually, it's their software I like the most. Microsoft eats ass...in the most horrible kind of way. LOL

Ok, this could devolve pretty quickly!
Check out my new story! 
[url=http://forum.bearchive.co/thread-270-post-20860.html#pid20860]http://forum.bearchive.co/thread-270-post-20860.html#pid20860[/url] 
I now use a Chromebook. I am glad to be rid of MS but I still have to get used to working without any downloaded programs.

Regrettably, there is not a solution for everything as an online app.
(02-21-2014, 10:37 AM)JustSomeone Wrote: Also, even though I _had_ to install OSX on here, I gave it the smallest partition, and installed Windows 7 on 700GB. Screw OSX. Apple makes pretty good hardware. Their software sucks dick.
If you don't like OS X I'm curious why you've got a Mac? To be honest Apple's hardware's no better than anyone elses'.

Let me caveat that: in the 'Windows' laptop market you have a choice of anything from approx £250 up to...a lot. Naturally a £300 machine is not going to compete with an MBP on build quality. It'll be all plasticky and cheap and nasty. That said, buy a £1000-1500+ business class laptop from HP, Lenovo, Fujitsu - hell even Dell - and believe me, it'll be just as nice if not nicer.

The reason to buy Apple is if you like their software. If you do, fair enough. If you don't, you could find better products and better value elsewhere. Personally I'm in the camp that likes OS X but refuses to pay the premium for Apple hardware.
(02-22-2014, 06:20 AM)Archaon Wrote:
(02-21-2014, 10:37 AM)JustSomeone Wrote: Also, even though I _had_ to install OSX on here, I gave it the smallest partition, and installed Windows 7 on 700GB. Screw OSX. Apple makes pretty good hardware. Their software sucks dick.
If you don't like OS X I'm curious why you've got a Mac? To be honest Apple's hardware's no better than anyone elses'.

Let me caveat that: in the 'Windows' laptop market you have a choice of anything from approx £250 up to...a lot. Naturally a £300 machine is not going to compete with an MBP on build quality. It'll be all plasticky and cheap and nasty. That said, buy a £1000-1500+ business class laptop from HP, Lenovo, Fujitsu - hell even Dell - and believe me, it'll be just as nice if not nicer.
You're logic is absolutely right. For me, it was a matter of time and place. In previous years, I owned a slot loading Indigo iMac, with MacOS 9. Call me crazy, but I liked the software on the older stuff. Plus, I enjoyed the all-in-one experience. The monitor was very nice and the screen was crisp. During the late 90s - early 2000's.

My next machine was a laptop, a business class IBM ThinkPad T42. This is is by far the best laptop I've ever owned. In fact, it lasted for ten plus years.

Now, when I wanted another laptop, I needed something that would compete against the ThinkPad. But, I wasn't getting another ThinkPad from Lenovo (long story not worth mentioning).

I needed something that supported Windows XP. I needed something that wasn't Windows 7 or Windows 8. Suffice to say, there are some asinine changes that are happening in the operating system world. For example, the clowns at Microsoft think it's a wonderful idea to bring a tablet interface to a PC/Laptop (Windows 8, no start menu, etc etc). The guys at Apple are back porting many iPad features to the Mac. The new applications don't have fucking scroll bars. Damn near every laptop has Chiclets keyboards now. It's almost like the major UI and hardware designs are being enforced by hipsters, or something.

At the time, late 2011, and before, most folks were migrating to Mac Book Pros. And as ironic as it sounds, the best Windows laptop at that time was a Mac Book Pro.

At that moment in time, the Macbook Pro still had a disc burner. Parts were not soldered onto the wafer boards (more hackable I guess), and Mac OSX 10.7 is probably the OS from Apple that "just worked". There are too many complaints about upgrading to 10.8 or Mavericks.

About the hardware... The screens on the MBP are developed by Samsung. They are probably the nicest and technically superior in the industry. I really love the uni-body design, but it doesn't have it's problems with generating heat. Again, not a fan of Chiclet keyboards, but this is the nicest one I've ever used.

So, getting a MBP was a seriously throughout decision, about 6 months or so. I purchased it because it was the closest thing I was looking for. But, in all honesty, it was the best of a bad situation. So, it was a matter of time and place.

Now, before you write me off as a malcontent. I'd like to say I've been around technology, before it was pretty and usable. Some might call me a grey beard in my industry. I guess I know what I like. And I certainly don't like where most technology is headed.
(02-21-2014, 10:37 AM)JustSomeone Wrote: Now, before you write me off as a malcontent. I'd like to say I've been around technology, before it was pretty and usable. Some might call me a grey beard in my industry. I guess I know what I like. And I certainly don't like where most technology is headed.

Nah it makes perfect sense. A few years back when you bought it the landscape was different. As with many trends, Apple set the bar for mid-high end laptops with the aluminium unibody design. A few years on and the unibody is still relatively unique but most high end laptops now come with some kind of metal casing or internal construction. More durable, thinner, less flex, lighter weight if the right metal/alloy is used - all good stuff.

Same thing would have been true if you wanted an ultrabook a few years ago. Your choice a few years ago: Macbook Air. Your choice now: Kid in a candy store.

Currently I'm using a HP Probook 5330m. It's a couple of years old now but it's a good machine that ticks all my boxes, plus the other half likes it because it's relatively small and light, and it's pretty.

To be fair to MS I do actually like Windows 8 and I don't particularly subscribe to the hatred that occurs with almost all new Windows release (except for 7 for some reason).

Take Vista, for example. I didn't suffer from any personally but it did have some proper nasty bugs when it came out, and I'm not disputing that. Bugs aside however a lot of criticism was levied at it for being a resource hog. The thing that got me is that people say things like "OMG XP is so fast it's amazing why would I ever want Vista it's so bloated rar rar rar". Do those people remember what it was like running XP on a Pentium 3 or 4 with 256mb RAM? It was [b]painful[/b] compared to something like 98SE or even 2000. And people bitched and moaned about it at the time. When Vista came out the typical PC had 1-2Gb RAM and was running XP like an absolute dream - and suddenly Vista was the bad guy. Everyone had forgotten that XP was exactly the same when it came out.

'Fit for use' is king whether it's a £500k+ enterprise infrastructure project or Joe Bloggs with their £300 laptop. People forget that too easily and are quick to put a black mark on everything based on one experience.
(02-22-2014, 10:33 AM)Archaon Wrote: Take Vista, for example. I didn't suffer from any personally but it did have some proper nasty bugs when it came out, and I'm not disputing that. Bugs aside however a lot of criticism was levied at it for being a resource hog. The thing that got me is that people say things like "OMG XP is so fast it's amazing why would I ever want Vista it's so bloated rar rar rar". Do those people remember what it was like running XP on a Pentium 3 or 4 with 256mb RAM? It was [b]painful[/b] compared to something like 98SE or even 2000. And people bitched and moaned about it at the time. When Vista came out the typical PC had 1-2Gb RAM and was running XP like an absolute dream - and suddenly Vista was the bad guy. Everyone had forgotten that XP was exactly the same when it came out.
I think, in part, is my personality. I tend to use things, until they break. Considering that XP 13 years old, it's a damn fine OS. To this day, I am still using XP as my main desktop. It does 100% of what I want it to do, and 90% of what 7 does, maybe more.

Concerning adopting XP... Well I had great time with Windows 2000 Pro. It was hard to give up, and quite frankly didn't care for XP. It look liked a children's toy. But, tone down the kiddy stuff, and it grew on me. I can't give up the classic Windows File Explorer. Smile

Of course I had a dual processor machine when I adopted XP. So no speed complaints there.
(02-22-2014, 11:19 AM)JustSomeone Wrote: I think, in part, is my personality. I tend to use things, until they break. Considering that XP 13 years old, it's a damn fine OS. To this day, I am still using XP as my main desktop. It does 100% of what I want it to do, and 90% of what 7 does, maybe more.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as it does the job. Will be interesting to see what difference support ending actually makes. At full count I have 1x 98SE, 2x XP (plus some XP virtual machines), 2x Vista, 2x 7 and 1x 8.1.

My HTPC for example runs Vista and could run 7 or 8 quite happily, but there's no justification for me to shell out the £70 for a new OEM licence to do it. If and when I replace the machine no doubt I'll end up changing the OS, but until I get there it works nicely and is just fine for what I need it to do.
Being an IT Professional, I can say without hesitation, that Windows 8 is the most horrid piece of crap to come out of Microsoft since Windows CE. And Server 2012 is right there with it...

We WON'T be migrating past Windows 7 professional and Server 2008 until something comes along that doesn't assume everyone is an idiot and can't operate a computer without nice little pictures to show you where to click and making getting into configuration settings the most complicated, difficult and repetitive action known to mankind...

And did I mention Windows 8 SUCKS?!?
[b][i]"It's always funny until someone loses an eye!"[/i][/b]
-
-
Skepticism is good, it is the reason why Science progresses. We don't live anymore in the era when a model said she had a 183PPP bra and that was considered a fact by the rest of the mortals.

Welcome to the internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI

If it hurts, it means that you're still living
(02-24-2014, 03:18 PM)Djoser Wrote:
Gotta love ERB. Big Grin